CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Race For The Cure


Yesterday was Race For The Cure in Salt Lake. It was amazing! I was stunned by how emotional it was. I didn't realize what the event really was. There were 17,000 people registered for the race. My cousin, Becky, put together a team called "Team Stacked". We wore shirts that said, "In Celebration and In Honor of:" and then we were able to write down all the women we knew who had been affected by this awful disease. My mom was at the top of the list and unfortunately, not as a survivor. She was diagnosed with Breast cancer in 1997 and died in 1999 at the young age of 41. My Grandma Betty (my mom's mom) was on the list as a 16 year survivor! Last on the list was Paul's Grandma Helen, who I never met because she was taken when Paul was 10 years old.

July, my niece Cayman, my Grandma Betty and my Aunt Kathie (my mom's sister) came to the event as well and were all doing the 1 mile walk. It was nice to have us all there joined for the same cause. I was running the 5K with my sister-in-law, Kari and her girls, Alice and Charlotte, who was running for Grandma Helen. As I was walking to the start line to meet Kari, I found myself trying to hold back tears. I wasn't sure why I was crying. I think about my mom a lot and am usually able to hold it together, but I could feel the waterworks just waiting to gush out. I got to the start line and there were Paul and Kari and her girls and Clark. They were getting ready to start the race and the announcers wanted us to yell out who we were running for. I couldn't yell at all. I was just trying not to cry. It was so powerful to be standing with so many people all there for a wonderful cause. The race began and there were too many people to try to run as fast as we wanted, but Kari and I finished the 5K and had a great time doing it. I think we will make this an annual event and next year get my whole family there. I miss my mom terribly and love her so much! Race For the Cure!!!








4 comments:

Unknown

I felt the same way when I got to the beginning of the balloons. When they said yell out who you are running for... I did but with tears in my eyes and a wobbily voice. I was crying! Love you and thanks for doing the race with me!

Jamie

That is AWESOME Alli!!! Now where's the Kleenex. Love ya!

DaLynn

Oh Alli, that is so neat! Good for you! Love ya!

Handprints on the Walls

Great! That totally just made me cry! I'm proud of you Alli! You've made it thru a whole lot of tragedy and come out one amazing woman! xoxo T